"Trump has no immunity from Jan. 6 prosecution, appeals court rules"
“We cannot accept former President Trump’s claim that a President has unbounded authority to commit crimes that would neutralize the most fundamental check on executive power — the recognition and implementation of election results,” the panel of three judges wrote. “Nor can we sanction his apparent contention that the Executive has carte blanche to violate the rights of individual citizens to vote and to have their votes count.”
Asked at that hearing whether Trump’s view of presidential impunity could allow for the assassination of a political rival, defense attorney D. John Sauer did not disagree. He only suggested that such an action would “speedily” result in impeachment. “I think it’s paradoxical to say that his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed allows him to violate criminal laws,” Karen L. Henderson, the lone Republican on the panel, said during arguments over the case in early January. - Washington Post
You can read a transcript of the Appeals Court ruling here courtesy of the Washington Post. Listen to a 13 minute audio summary generated with AI as a public service by Democracy Labs.
D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals Decision
- Trump can and will be tried as a criminal - this is the only possible response to the unprecedented criminal conspiracy MAGA is perpetrating.
- The court has made it clear: the law applies equally to everyone, whether you’re Trump or any other American.
- This case is ground zero for our most fundamental freedoms: this is the case of whether ‘we the people’ elect our leaders or a MAGA faction can seize and hold power.
- The D.C. Circuit Court has upheld the Constitution and common sense.
- - ASO Communications / Research Collaborative
TakeAway: No one is above the law. Especially insurrectionists who would overthrow American democracy to cling to power.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.