"Google’s Policies Can Endanger Those Seeking Abortions"
Did you know that if you use Google Maps to search for directions to an abortion clinic, Google can hand you private data to Republican authorities intent on prosecuting women seeking abortions?
Google’s Policies Endangers Those Seeking Abortions. Google keeps retains both location search queries of users who visit abortion clinics. - Accountable Tech
- 13 states fully ban abortion care and prosecute people seeking abortions.
- Google’s data collection practices threaten the personal freedom of millions of Americans.
- Prosecutors in states where abortion is illegal may already be making requests for personal data from Google in order to prosecute those seeking reproductive care.
- Family member, hacker, or abusive partner could access or log into a user’s Google account and turn this data over to state authorities.
How Google collects and shares your private information
Accountable Tech tested Google's location history policies. An Accountable Tech staff member set up a new, unused Android phone. She created a new test Google account and accepted all default privacy settings. She traveled from Cleveland, Ohio to a Planned Parenthood in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This is the information Google collected, kept and could potentially turn over to authorities who want to prosecute women seeking abortions.
Google is a danger to your freedom
- A search for a reproductive care facility could be used to prosecute those seeking reproductive care in states that have banned abortions.
- An experiment revealed that location search queries for a Planned Parenthood in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania were collected and retained by Google for at least two months after they were generated. Google’s default privacy settings store these entries for 18 months.
- The sheer volume of data in Google’s hands provides significant possible incriminating evidence for state governments to prosecute those seeking reproductive care. - Accountable Tech
"Google isn't deleting abortion patients' location data" - Jessica's Valenti's blog "Abortion Every Day"
Post-Roe, Google’s Data Collection and Policies Could Endanger Those Seeking Abortions - Accountable Tech
Google Has a Stalking Problem - Tech Transparency Project
Graphic of GOP invading women's privacy - Ann Telnaes
The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu
TakeAway: Stay out of jail. Protect your privacy from Google. Use Apple instead. Like the saying goes "An APPLE a day, keeps the police away!"
This Map can be freely shared with this link https://embed.kumu.io/0e0f89972e0f5f05f7ce589977ac6ce9
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.