What happens when MAGA culture warriors cripple real American warriors?
Republicans have “hijacked” the annual defense policy bill and loading it up with conservative amendments related to abortion, transgender rights and other issues, arguing it will undermine national security. “Holding America’s military readiness – as well as service members and their families – hostage to an extreme, divisive political agenda undermines our national security and disrespects the sacrifices that those who wear the uniform,” - HuffPo
Learn expert tips on designing hard-hitting rapid response videos and the free apps used to create this video.
Creating Rapid Response videos
1. Time is of essence - Move fast. Republicans just blocked aid to Israel and Ukraine last night. So this video was created quickly while the issue is still fresh in the news.
2. Use satire - “Humor is essential to a successful tactician, for the most potent weapons known to mankind are satire and ridicule.”― Saul Alinsky, Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals
3. Use stories that people are familiar with - This video uses D-Day as a reference point illustrated with a short dramatic clip from Saving Private Ryan trailer. Comments from Tommy Tuberville and Mike Johnson have been inserted to create a 30 second video. Respect 'Fair Use' principles and acknowledge the source of any content you use.
4. Cross information silos - Don't give away the ending. Leading with your message upfront will turn off people who may be on the other end of the political spectrum. This video does not indicate which way the messaging is till you are a third of the way through the video. Notice in the image above it has "D-Day Revisited" and a QR Code which invites the reader to learn more without giving away the ending.
5. Keep it short and sweet (K.I.S.S.) - Don't overload your message with lots of additional facts. I'm a big fan of cartoons from Political Cartoons to add a touch of humor to my stories.
Putin Republicans block aid for Ukraine and Israel
"Senate Republican leaders, ahead of a key procedural vote, are urging their GOP colleagues to block legislation to provide more than $61 billion in military and foreign aid for Ukraine because the package does not include immigration and asylum reforms.
Senate Appropriations Committee Chair Patty Murray (D-Wash.) on Tuesday unveiled a $110.5 billion supplemental funding package to provide military assistance to Ukraine and Israel and humanitarian assistance to Gaza, the West Bank and Ukraine, and to invest in the United States’s industrial base to increase weapons and munitions production." - HuffPost
MAGA culture warriors endanger American security
The far right’s war on “woke” has real-world consequences for the military. Sen. Tommy Tuberville is holding up Pentagon confirmations in a problematic protest... Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville has held up the confirmation of more than 260 generals for new command posts — including members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the head of the Marine Corps — over his objections to the Pentagon’s abortion policy.
Tuberville, a former football coach who is closely allied with former President Donald Trump, has refused to go forward with the routine confirmations and is essentially using defense policy as leverage to promote his cultural ideology. But the Department of Defense has repeatedly warned that holding up the confirmations is damaging the military’s chain of command at the highest levels, including the Joint Chiefs of Staff — especially concerning amid a time of increasing tension between the US and China, and as the US supports Ukraine against Russia’s invasion. - VOX
TakeAway: Use punchy, rapid response videos to get your message heard while the issue is still in the news cycle.
Image credit: Vintage Everyday
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.