An Ohio police officer releases an attack dog on a defenseless, young black man with his hands up.
What does this have to do with Democracy and the Ohio Issue 1 vote on August 1? Everything. It's about the will of the majority of the people to demand change to policies they do not like. Everything from the right to an abortion. Protecting Medicaid. Restricting trains carrying toxic chemicals. Demanding an end to racist policing policies.
MAGA Republican billionaire donors are funding campaigns to overturn majority rule and have a small minority write the laws they want. Using violence and voter suppression isn't new. It was used in Selma to suppress the civil rights movement.
Understand what's at stake in the Ohio Issue 1 vote on August 8th and how you can volunteer to defend democracy with this infographic. Click on any item for more details.
What is Issue 1?
ISSUE 1 WILL APPEAR ON THE AUGUST 8TH, 2023 BALLOT
- On August 8, the only thing on your ballot will be Issue 1 to permanently end majority rule in Ohio.
- A yes vote is a vote to end majority rule
- A no vote defends majority rule and the sacred principle of ‘one person, one vote’
- Early in-person and absentee voting begins on July 11
- Election Day is Tuesday, August 8. Polls will be open from 6:30am until 7:30pm.
Killing a 111-year-old right Ohio voters
Editorial boards across Ohio, from small and large communities, are joining together to encourage Ohio voters to reject Issue 1 on August 8. The diverse collection of editorials shine a light on the deceptive proposal by special interests and politicians to end more than 100 years of majority rule in Ohio. - Vote No On Issue 1
- Columbus Dispatch: “Issue 1 is about driving a dagger into Ohio — The Heart of All — by killing a 111-year-old right Ohio voters have had to control our destinies at the ballot box even when unscrupulous or insincere lawmakers try to stand in the way or ignore our will.”
- Dayton Daily News: “Very simply, Issue 1 is about taking power away from you. Don’t disarm yourselves of the “greatest tools democracy ever had…Vote ‘No’ on Issue 1.”
- The Plain Dealer: “It’s a useful reminder of what citizens are being asked to give up through Issue 1 – the rights they’ve had since 1912 to use citizen-initiated amendments that need only get a majority of voters’ support to rein in Statehouse corruption and pay-to-play.”
Democracy is not a spectator sport: Get involved
JOIN VIRTUAL PHONE BANKS. Never made calls to voters before? No worries, you're in good hands! At the outset of a phonebank, we'll thoroughly train you on how to make effective phone calls to help defeat Issue, then pivot right into making calls to voters. Click Here
TALK TO VOTERS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. The best way to help defeat Issue 1 is with direct conversations with your neighbors. Click here to join an upcoming canvass, where you'll receive all the training and support you need to have powerful, effective conversations. Click Here
REACH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. Join the non-partisan Ohio Voter Rights Coalition on the Reach app to match your friends, family, and neighbors to their voter records and voting history, get reminders about when to reach out to them and messages you can use to do that, and track who you've talked to and whether they're voting NO. Click Here
TEXT YOUR FRIENDS. Your network of friends is a powerful organizing force. So mobilize your network of friends to help defeat Issue 1! Click Here
How this infographic was designed
This infographic was designed with the free Wakelet app by DemLabs in a few hours. It combines images, texts and links into an interactive graphic that can be freely shared with this link or a QR Code. It can be seen on a phone, tablet or laptop and it can be updated with new content at any time.
TakeAway: Protect democracy and your freedom to choose. Vote NO on Ohio Issue 1.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.