GOP packed Supreme Court "grants businesses that choose to sell to the public a free speech right to discriminate..."
Follow the money and connections behind the six extremist Supreme Court Justices' decision and decide for yourself. The decision does not impact only the LGBTQ community. Businesses can also discriminate against others who they do not "ideologically" like.
Follow the money:
- Leonard Leo has “raised hundreds of millions of dollars over the three decades on behalf of right-wing dark money groups to influence the federal judiciary and Supreme Court." – New Civil Rights Movement
- Christian legal group "Alliance Defending Democracy" seeks to enshrine discrimination into law - Washington Post
- "Your legal career is but a means to an end... that end is building the kingdom of God": Amy Coney Barrett - Notre Dame Law School
- The Ethics and Public Policy Center, which filed an amicus brief supporting the ADF in the 303 Creative case, received $78,000 from Leonard Leo - The Guardian
- GOP stacked the Supreme Court. McConnell refused to give Merrick Garland a hearing for over a year and then rushed Amy Coney Barrett's nomination with weeks before the next election - Washington Post
- Barrett sold her home for $905,000 to Brendan Wilson, with the Religious Liberty Initiative. The initiative's legal clinic has curried favor with the Supreme Court since its founding in 2020 and filed at least nine "friend-of-the-court" amicus briefs in religious liberty cases before the Court. - Salon
- 303 Creative, Inc. v. Elenis: Give rise to a right to discriminate - ACLU
ADF wins nine Supreme Court cases in seven years
"Critics point to LGBT-disparaging rhetoric from the man who helped found ADF in the 1990s as proof of what the organization is really after. The Southern Poverty Law Center classifies ADF as a “hate group.” - Washington Post
ADF helps train conservative Christians:
- Young Lawyers Academy, which schools new U.S. attorneys and provides opportunities to “engage the culture and join a network of Christian attorneys around the globe”
- Areté Academy, which “launches highly accomplished university students and recent graduates on a path to future leadership in law, government, business, and public policy.”
- ADF Academy is a training program that purports to equip participants to “effectively advocate for religious liberty, the sanctity of life, and marriage and family.” ADF claims more than 1,800 lawyers have participated.
- The organization also offers the secretive Blackstone Legal Fellowship, through which Christian law students study under prominent scholars, participate in internships, and prepare for life and leadership in the legal profession. - SPLC
Amy Coney Barrett, Supreme Court nominee, spoke at program founded to inspire a ‘distinctly Christian worldview in every area of law’
Barrett was a paid speaker five times, starting in 2011, at the Blackstone Legal Fellowship, a summer program established to inspire a “distinctly Christian worldview in every area of law,” tax filings show. It was founded to show students “how God can use them as judges, law professors and practicing attorneys to help keep the door open for the spread of the Gospel in America.”
The Blackstone program is run by Alliance Defending Freedom, a legal advocacy group whose founding leader has questioned the “so-called separation of church and state” as it is often understood. In the years Barrett spoke there, the fellowship’s suggested reading list included a book co-written by the same leader that lamented how Christians for too long had been “AWOL from the courthouse.” - Washington Post
We’re in this together: You could be discriminated against next.
"Some folks might suggest that gay couples could just avoid people who don’t want to celebrate their marriages with them. But that’s not how rights work in our society. It’s about the fundamental dignity that all people are entitled to. Unfortunately, this Supreme Court seems to be of the view that it’s only people who share their beliefs who get to have the ladder up." - Joy Vance in Civil Discourse
TakeAway: Vote for Democrats to fix the GOP politicized justice system and restore your freedoms.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
Amy Coney Barrett, at Diploma Ceremony - Notre Dame Law School
303 Creative, Inc. v. Elenis - ACLU
Inside the Christian legal powerhouse that keeps winning at the Supreme Court - Washington Post
‘Shady Ties to Sprawling Network of Dark Money’ – New Civil Rights Movement
Christian legal non-profit funds US anti-LGBTQ+ and anti-abortion organizations - The Guardian
"Shady and corrupt": Watchdog group sounds the alarm over Amy Coney Barrett real estate deal - Salon
The GOP’s court-stacking - Washington Post
It’s Always Been About Discrimination for LGBT People - ACLU