How can organizers create powerful videos in minutes for free? Lumen5.
Organizers face specific challenges in creating persuasive videos:
- Rapid response: Videos have to be created quickly to mobilize people around an issue
- Ease of use: Volunteers and staff with no experience in making videos should be able to learn how to do so quickly
- No special equipment: Videos have to be made without having to buy or rent equipment
- Content licensing: Video clips and soundtracks used in the video should be royalty free
Lumen5 is a wonderful app which has both free and premium versions that meet these needs
Somos Votantes, a Latino-led, Latino-focused organization that empowers hardworking Latino voters to participate in our nation's democracy year-round by taking action in their own communities. This blog describes Somos Votantes quickly created two 30 second videos with Lumen5 after being introduced to the app by DemLabs.
Create your own advocacy video
The ideal length for a persuasion video is under thirty seconds. Focus on providing just enough information to viewers so they understand the issue and direct them to your call to action. Keep the videos engaging with graphics, action and music. Include captions as many viewers will watch the videos on mute.
Somos Votantes used professionally made, royalty free video clips that are included in the Lumen5 app. Each video has a few clips that are combined to tell a story. The video clips are overlaid with captions and a soundtrack, also from Lumen5. They also uploaded their own logo and campaign-specific images into Lumen5.
Persuasive storytelling with videos
Telling a good story persuades people. The best stories don’t just communicate information or elicit an emotional reaction — they’re also a tool to persuade and motivate people. So start by contextualizing your story, tying it back to the case you’re trying to make. Tailor it to the needs of your audience: Speak to their specific anxieties or concerns, and avoid bland platitudes that could apply to anyone. Be clear about what you want them to do. If you give your audience practical advice and direction, you empower them to take action and make your story their own. - HBR
Free online training on creating persuasive videos
Somos is an embodiment of the growing power of Latinos. Together, Somos Votantes and Somos PAC are Latino-led, Latino-focused organizations that provide a centralized hub for research, messaging, training, and mobilization of Latino communities. These are some of the battleground states it works in.
Increase voter participation
Somos Votantes and Somos PAC empower Latino communities to create a political impact by equipping them with the tools and knowledge to participate in our nation’s democracy by taking action in their own communities. They engage directly with Latino voters in critical battleground states to turn them out for elections in support of progressive candidates and causes. They aim to increase voter participation and improve Democratic performance in Latino communities in order to win elections. Learn more
More resources on making videos
- Move fast to convert outrage into action and supporters
- Enhance your video with an AI generated talking head
- Do-It-Yourself campaign ads pack a punch
- INVASION OF THE MEDICARE SNATCHERS
- How to choose the right storytelling app
- Make rapid response videos for free with iMovie
- Que incluye BBB para ti? Free apps for better Hispanic outreach
- Stick to your message. Use a teleprompter.
- Create online training with free, easy-to-use apps
- How to deliver POWERFUL messages on video
TakeAway: Polish your video storytelling skills with free apps. It's worth the effort.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.