Florida school district bans dozens of books based on proposed bill. - Popular Info
Schools in Clay County, Florida, are withholding dozens of books spreadsheet from students, citing legislation that has been proposed but not approved by the state legislature or signed into law. Among books no longer available is The Handmaid's Tale.
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, takes place in an unspeakably awful future. Spurred by a global plague of infertility, an extremist group called the Sons of Jacob staged a coup on the U.S. government and sent progressive American society reeling backwards to totalitarianism, organized on Old Testament principles.
Compare how MAGA Republican mimic The Handmaid's Tale. Is that why they are banning the book?
- An entrenched elite capturing wealth without fear of the justice system
- Authoritarian politics with Christian conservatives as its core
- Anti-abortion that enforces subordination of women
- Rolls back voting rights
- Recreates racial apartheid and enforces its will at gunpoint.
MAGA Republicans copy The Handmaid's Tale
Who is behind the ban?
- Virtually all of the books kept off the shelves by the Challenge Oversight Committee were challenged by Bruce Friedman, a conservative activist who moved to Clay County from New York in May 2021. Friedman compiled "a list of over 3,600 titles" that he said had "concerning content." Friedman is the president and founder of the Florida chapter of No Left Turn in Education, a right-wing educational group.
- Friedman acknowledged he is not aware of any children who were exposed to objectionable content at a school library and had such content negatively impact their lives.
- No Left Turn in Education was founded in 2020 by Elana Yaron Fishbein who says there are evil forces focused on "getting to our kids, brainwashing them, indoctrinating them, and making them [a] brownshirt."
- The Challenge Oversight Committee is removing books based on HB 1069, a piece of legislation introduced in February. It is likely unconstitutional. HB 1069 was approved by the Florida House in March but has not been considered, much less approved, by the Florida Senate. - Popular Information
DeSantis book bans
People are busy. Keep your stories short. Interactive. Multimedia. Easy to understand. Easy to share. Easily updated with new information.
This infographic is designed with Infogram based on this Popular Information article supplemented with YouTube videos, GIFs and links to more information. The infographic can be shared with a link or embedded in websites with a single line of code.
TakeAway: Watch The Handmaid's Tale to understand how right wing, Christian patriarchies come to power and persecute women.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.