Ten people were killed and another ten injured in a mass shooting in Monterey Park CA. - NBC
It’s the 37th mass shooting this year. We’re 23 days into 2023 and over 2,200+ Americans have already died of gun violence. - Thom Hartmann
How do you harness the horror and outrage into action? Make it easy for people to call their elected officials who are blocking gun safety reform? This map shows all the mass shooting with details of when and where it took place. How many people died and how many were injured. It overlays this information with the Senators who are holding up a ban on assault weapon ban. Click on the map call to speak to your Senator's office.
Harness the outrage to direct people to the culpable politicians
America not only leads the world in gun ownership but, predictably, we also lead the world in gun deaths. About ten million more have been sold in the US since then: we are the only nation in the world with more guns than people. For every 100 people in America, there are 120 guns. Among developed nations, next highest on the list is Canada, at 34 per 100 people, and all other developed countries are lower down the list than that: South Korea, Taiwan and Japan, for example, all clock in at fewer than one gun per 100 people.
America has just a bit more than 4 percent of the world’s population, but, with more guns than people in our country, we have more than 40 percent of all the civilian guns in the world. We’re the only developed country that unconditionally allows civilians to own military-style assault weapons, that allows “open carry,” that lets gun manufacturers openly buy politicians (thanks, SCOTUS). The leading cause of death for children is being blown apart by bullets. - Thom Hartmann
Keep it simple
- This map was created with ArcGIS Online using data on mass shootings from the Gun Violence Archive.
- The map includes Senators, Governors, State Attorney Generals along with their phone numbers. Clicking on the phone number automatically dials it.
- It includes calls to action from Newtown Alliance such as call THESE SENATE HOLDOUTS to urge them to cosponsor the AWB bill.
- Help us build law enforcement support for the AWB bill: Please contact your police chief or other law enforcement officers and send them this form to urge them to sign onto this letter.
- Join the Campaign Against Assault Weapons coalition. Groups sign HERE and individuals can sign our petition HERE.
- There is a click to register to vote that leads to a special page at Vote.org in order to be able to track the number of responses
- A QR Code to the map was generated with the free QR Code Generator app.
- Use a shortened URL to make it easier to remember bit.ly/banassaultweaponsnow
TakeAway: Convert outrage into reforms by directing people to what they should do. Outrage is a terrible thing to waste.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.