"Mark Meadows Exchanged Texts With 34 Members Of Congress About Plans To Overturn The 2020 Election" - Talking Points Memo
So many Republicans scheming and texting to overturn the election results! Luckily power maps make it easier to understand what they were up to.
- 1. Who wanted Trump to declare martial law to stay in power? (Mis-spelt as "Our LAST HOPE is invoking Marshall Law!!")
- 2. Who called election officials doing their duty 'MFers'?
- 3. Which state had the most congressmen texting Meadows to overturn the election results?
- 4. Which Supreme Court Justice's spouse texted Meadows?
- 5. Who presented a plan for Pence to throw out the results as he presided over the certification?
- 6. Which four senators texted Meadows?
- 7. Who requested a free ride on Air Force One to Washington DC?
- 8. Which Congressman quoted his theory based on a blog titled 'Some bitch told me'?
- 9. Who said "“I got to tell you something, if Steve Bannon and I had organized that, we would have won. Not to mention, it would’ve been armed.”
- 10. Who said he prayed daily for POTUS and FLOTUS?
"The threat to democracy is still in Congress"
On January 6, 2021, 147 Republicans, including eight senators, voted against certifying Joe Biden’s victory. All eight senators remain in office. Of the 139 representatives who objected, 124 ran for reelection, and 118 of those won. Each of their votes is inexcusable, but not all objectors are equally egregious; some were more actively involved in the paperwork coup than others. A series of stories at Talking Points Memo, based on former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows’s text messages, spotlights how many of the worst plotters are still in office. The threat to democracy is coming from inside the House—and Senate. - The Atlantic
- Jim Jordan of Ohio, who was a ringleader of the attempt to steal the election in Congress, remains unapologetic, and is set to take on still more power and prominence when Republicans take over the House in January.
- Scott Perry of Pennsylvania, who wrote to Meadows frequently and pursued bizarre schemes to obtain election-machine data. In August, the Justice Department seized his cellphone as part of an investigation into DOJ officials’ involvement in the election-subversion effort.
- Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, who won his reelection bid last month and who has been a prime source and conduit for conspiracy theories about the election as well as public health.
- Ted Budd of North Carolina, who was and is a representative but will join Johnson in the Senate next month.
- Paul Gosar of Arizona, a repeat bad actor who recently tweeted (and then deleted) his support for Trump’s call to “terminate” elements of the U.S. Constitution over his bogus election-fraud claims.
How to create a Power Map
- This map shows the people who texted Mark Meadows as icons in the state that they represent.
Clicking on one reveals details such as what they texted, videos and images.
Arrows indicate connections between different people and groups.
Tabs at the top let you search by a group such as 'Georgia', "Senators', 'Overturn Election HQ' etc.
The Power map can be freely embedded in a website with this code: < iframe src="https://embed.kumu.io/0c428b60226fe61e1c73361927579b0b" width="940" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Take Away: Make it easier for people to understand the threats to American democracy with maps and data visualization.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
Answers (Source: Talking Points Memo) :
(1) Rep. Ralph Norman (R-SC) (2) Mike Kelly (R-PA) (3) Georgia (4) Clarence Thomas wife Ginni Thomas (5) Jim Jordan (R-OH) (6) Ted Cruz (R-TX), Ron Johnson (R-WI), Mike Lee (R-UT), Cynthia Lummis (R-WY) (7) Louie Gohmert (R-TX) (8) Paul Goasr (9) Marjorie Taylor Greene (10) Andrew Clyde
Cartoons licensed from Political Cartoons