“We Won’t Black Down” puts the Blackest buses in America on the road for a 12 state tour to mobilize voters.
How do you energize marginalized voters in remote communities? How does a multi-state bus tour improve voter turnout? How does Black Voters Matter publicize their bus tour events to boost attendance? How does technology make campaign events more effective?
Black Voters Matter (BVM) increases the power of Black communities by showing them how to determine their own destiny with effective voting.
BVM buses go to the communities that really matter, but often overlooked. This 12 state BVM tour spans the South and Midwest engaging with Black voters, policymakers, faith-based leaders, Black influencers, and HBCU students. It is democracy in action to counter the culture of right wing intimidation.
WE WON'T BLACK DOWN
We Won't Black Down bus tour
Black Voters Matter is mobilizing Black voters in its “Blackest Bus in America” fall bus tour. The “We Won’t Black Down” tour makes stops throughout the region leading up to the general election on November 8. It engages with Black voters, policymakers, faith-based leaders, Black influencers and HBCU students. At this moment, we’re seeing a rise in white supremacy, political division, and the weaponizing of race. The tour stands firmly in Black social movements and in our birthright. We deserve a strong and inclusive democracy, and we won’t back down. We won’t Black down. - BVM
Tech boosts event attendance
Coordinating a multi-state bus tour with multiple stops isn't easy. How do you make it easy for people to find out about upcoming events in their area? How do you keep the schedule up to date with last minute delays? How do you make the event schedule easy to read on phones? Easy to share with friends on social media? Joe White with Black Voters Matter designed an interactive map with ArcGIS software with help from DemLabs.
Entering event details
- Information about the bus tour stops are entered in a form along with details about the event and a link to sign up for the event
- Event details can be changed at any time and are immediately reflected on the map
- The map can be embedded in a website like this, or shared on social media or by email
- Black Voters Matter has several buses on different tours. Having a simple way to plan the stops, change them and publicly share the maps is important.
Dynamic map of bus tour stops
Black Voters Matter
Black Voters Matter (BVM) increases power in marginalized, predominantly Black communities. Effective voting allows a community to determine its own destiny. We agree with the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. when he said, “Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love.” BVM seek to achieve our goals with the following 5 core beliefs in mind:
- The key to effective civic engagement and community power is understanding, respecting and supporting local infrastructure.
- Black Voters Matter not only on election day, but on the 364 days between election days as well. This means we must support individuals and organizations that are striving to obtain social justice throughout the year.
- Black Voters Matter *everywhere*, including rural counties and smaller cities/towns that are often ignored by candidates, elected officials, political parties and the media.
- In order for Black voters to matter, we must utilize authentic messaging which speaks to our issues, connects with our hopes and affirms our humanity.
- The leadership, talent and commitment demonstrated by Black women in particular must receive recognition and, more importantly, *investment* in order to flourish and multiply.
TakeAway: Attend and support Black Voters Matter's bus campaign. Don't black down.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.