Arizona judge upholds century-old abortion ban that could sentence abortion providers to prison. - ABC
Republican appointed Arizona judge approves return to 19th century near-total ban
- A near-total ban on abortion dating from 1864 must be enforced in Arizona, a judge has ruled.
- The judge lifted an injunction which barred enforcement of a law allowing abortion only to save the mother's life.
- This year the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade, which determined there was a constitutional right to abortion.
- Since then US states have been deciding if or when to allow the procedure.
- Arizona's law predates the state's founding and includes a two- to five-year prison sentence for anyone who helps someone get an abortion. - BBC
Republicans push nationwide abortion ban
Near total abortion ban
Arizona can enforce a near-total ban on abortions that has been blocked for nearly 50 years, a judge ruled Friday, meaning clinics statewide will have to stop providing the procedures to avoid the filing of criminal charges against doctors and other medical workers. The judge lifted a decades-old injunction that blocked enforcement of the law on the books since before Arizona became a state. The only exemption to the ban is if the woman’s life is in jeopardy.
The ruling means the state’s abortions clinics will have to shut down and anyone seeking an abortion will have to go out of state. The ruling takes effect immediately, although an appeal is possible. “The Court finds an attempt to reconcile fifty years of legislative activity procedurally improper in the context of the motion and record before it,” Johnson wrote. “While there may be legal questions the parties seek to resolve regarding Arizona statutes on abortion, those questions are not for this Court to decide here.”
In overturning Roe on June 24, the high court said states can regulate abortion as they wish. All seven Supreme Court justices appointed by Republicans. - AP News
- This infographic was designed with the free Kumu app in a few hours
- We first created a GIF (below) using the free iMovie and EZGIF apps to explain how State Legislatures are increasingly important now that a Republican packed Supreme Court has overturned Roe v Wade
- Next a relationship map was created to explain the extremist Arizona Republicans who pushed for this total ban
- Information from different sources including Arizona Central, Tucson Sentinel, Arizona Luminaria, KOLD, AP News, Daily Mail and BBC was included.
- Details on the Democratic candidates for Arizona Senator, Governor and Attorney General were added
- The call to action leads to a web page with details for Arizona voters
TakeAway: Protect your freedoms. Vote for Democrats for Senator, Governor, Attorney General and State Legislatures.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.