The Rule of Law applies to all Americans: Former presidents demanding special treatment and politicians illegally exploiting migrants.
"The Rule of Law means that the law treats each of us alike there is not one rule for friends, another for foes; one rule for the powerful, another for the powerless; a rule for the rich, another for the poor; or different rules, depending upon one’s race or ethnicity or country of origin." - Attorney General Merrick Garland administering the Oath of Allegiance at Ellis Island in Celebration of Constitution Week and Citizenship Day.
This is the same Merrick Garland whose nomination that Mitch McConnell blocked for over a year, to stack the Supreme Court with right wing judges. Why is the Rule of Law so important? Why does the character of judges who enforce the laws matter so much? Why do billionaires spend so much to get the laws and judges they want? How does a politicized court affect you?
- Ban abortions and deny women the freedom to control their bodies
- Block measures to fight climate change
- Stop measures to curb gun violence and mass shootings
- Approve racist voter suppression
What can you do to make sure that the same rules apply for the powerful and the powerless? For the rich and the poor? Regardless of race or ethnicity or country of origin? Vote.
Rule of Law
AG Merrick Garland on the Rule of Law
- I come from a family of immigrants who fled religious persecution early and sought refuge here in the United States.
- If not for America, my grandmother would have died in the Holocaust.
- Under the protection of our laws, she too, was able to live without fear of persecution.
- That protection is what distinguishes America from so many other countries. The Rule of Law – is the foundation of our system of government.
- The Rule of Law means that the law treats each of us alike there is not one rule for friends, another for foes; one rule for the powerful, another for the powerless; a rule for the rich, another for the poor; or different rules, depending upon one’s race or ethnicity or country of origin.
- It demands that we listen to each other, even when we disagree. Reject violence and threats of violence that endanger each other and endanger our democracy.
- We must not allow the fractures between us to fracture our democracy. We are all in this together. We are all Americans.
- My family story is what motivated me to choose a career in public service.
- I wanted to repay my country for taking my family in when they had nowhere else to go.
- I wanted to repay the debt my family owes this country for our very lives.
Words to remember
Garland's advice is important at a time when a partisan Supreme Court strips Americans of their freedoms and MAGA Republicans (formerly claiming to be the party of Law & Order) threaten violence and refuse to accept election results.
How do you make comments easier to share? When they won't all fit in a simple GIF or meme? Create a GIF with a scrolling script. Here is a simple way to do create a GIF like this one in minutes using free apps.
Create your own such GIF in ten minutes Record a screen capture of the Teleprompter as the script was scrolling with the free EZGIF app. Paste the GIF in a PowerPoint slide along with a photo. Record another GIF of the PowerPoint slide.
TakeAway: Use GIFs with a scrolling script to spread messages like the importance of the RULE OF LAW.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.