Teen rape victim ordered to pay her rapist $150,000!
How are teenage rape victims denied abortions, but forced to pay restitution to their rapists? How different are Republican laws from Shariah law in other countries where rape victims rather than rapists are persecuted? What can you do to stop Republican Shariah Laws from spreading? Vote!
"Conservatism, in its extreme form, is always about codifying what other people can do. Shariah Law — the conservative aspect of Islamic law — limits the rights and freedom of women to control their minds, their bodies. The GOP-packed Supreme Court, limits the rights and freedom of women to control their minds, their bodies, and their worlds. Conservative Shariah Law condemns homosexuality, and it appears US Supreme Court is hell-bent on doing the same here. Conservative Shariah Law opposes birth control and contraception, and it appears that the Supreme Court is going to do that, too." - The Shariah Law Republicans Feared Is Here — And They Are Making It.
See how a GOP packed Supreme Court writes Republican Shariah laws to strip women of their freedom. Still think your vote doesn't matter?
Republican Shariah Law
Rape victim forced to pay $150,000
- Piper Lewis, a Des Moines teenager who pleaded guilty to killing her alleged rapist in June 2020 will be sentenced Wednesday in a Polk County Courtroom. Pieper was allegedly raped multiple times in the weeks before Lewis killed her rapist following another alleged assault. - Yahoo
- Prosecutors took issue with Lewis calling herself a victim in the case and said she failed to take responsibility for stabbing Brooks and "leaving his kids without a father." - NPR
- The judge peppered Lewis with repeated requests to explain what poor choices she made. - NPR
- Pieper said she regretted the stabbing, "but to say there is only one victim is absurd" - NY Times
- She Lewis was ordered on to pay her alleged rapist's family $150,000 - NY Times
- Iowa law for "restitution for death of victims" required people convicted of felony charges where people die to pay $150,000 - Hawkeye
- Victim restitution statutes are "pretty common" in other states and that this debt effectively makes people convicted of homicides second-class citizens - Matty Tate-Smith, Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault - Hawkeye
What is Sharia Law?
Shariah Law — the conservative aspect of Islamic law — limits the rights and freedom of women to control their minds, their bodies, and their worlds. US Law, as determined by the Supreme Court, limits the rights and freedom of women to control their minds, their bodies, and their worlds. Conservative Shariah Law condemns homosexuality, and it appears US Supreme Court is hell-bent on doing the same here. Conservative Shariah Law opposes birth control and contraception, and it appears that the Supreme Court is going to do that, too." - Gadwall Jackson
Republican hypocrisy: Sharia law overseas - Bad. Republican Sharia law - Good.
Steve Bannon was a founding board member of Breitbart, an extreme right wing website and loud critic of Shariah law in other countries. Breitbart seems OK with Republican Sharia laws...
- The Saudi Gazette reported that a 23-year-old, unmarried woman was sentenced to one year in prison and 100 lashes for adultery after the judge refused to believe that she was raped. This woman had been gang-raped, became pregnant, and had tried (unsuccessfully) to abort the fetus. The flogging was postponed until after the delivery. - Wikipedia
- "ISIS has just be-headed a woman in Baquba because she dared to resist being raped. In the process of struggling to defend herself, she actually killed her would-be rapist, an ISIS warrior. The woman was at home recovering from a medical illness.
- In Somalia, 13-year old Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow was accused of adultery (“zina”–in her case, sex outside of marriage). She had reported being gang-raped to the controlling jihadist group there, al-Shabab. The very act of accusing her rapists condemned her– but not her rapists– to a brutal death-by-stoning at the hands of fifty men. She begged for mercy, crying out up until the moment of her death."
"What must we understand about such surreal and barbaric misogyny? First, that to be born a woman in certain parts of the world is to be born guilty; being female is a capital offense. Girls and women must keep proving that they will not shame their families by obedience and subordination that Westerners cannot truly comprehend. On the other hand, Westerners have already made a huge difference in terms of supporting shelters for battered women, rape victims..." - Breitbart
Perhaps it's time for Republicans to make a 'huge difference' in supporting battered women and rape victims in America?
GOP stacked Supreme Court writes Republican Shariah Laws
"Conservatism, in its extreme form, is always about codifying what other people can do. Shariah Law — the conservative aspect of Islamic law — limits the rights and freedom of women to control their minds, their bodies. The GOP-packed Supreme Court, limits the rights and freedom of women to control their minds, their bodies, and their worlds. Conservative Shariah Law condemns homosexuality, and it appears US Supreme Court is hell-bent on doing the same here. Conservative Shariah Law opposes birth control and contraception, and it appears that the Supreme Court is going to do that, too.
Conservatives are the same across religions. They seek to control others. They use religious reasoning to justify political power — precisely the problem the American founders were trying to avoid. The conservative justices have for years decried judicial activism in an attempt to stymie liberal reasoning and discernment, yet now those same justices are undertaking the most breathtaking changes in the rights of Americans ever — all based on political and social ideologies. They are the judicial activists. There is no consideration — there is only the will to power and the will to exercise power against those who they wish to control.
The US is about to become the most draconian, religiously driven, conservative society in the world, outside of Iran, Afghanistan, and possibly Israel. This is what happens when a society allows its courts to become politicized. - Abstracted from Gadwell Jackson's excellent article "The Shariah Law Republicans Feared Is Here — And They Are Making It. The leader is SCOTUS."
Republican racism in abortion laws
- “There is a disproportionate number of black and brown folks that are in our criminal legal system and that are incarcerated in our jails and prisons in Iowa” - KellyMarie Meek, Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CNN)
- “The decision to prosecute Lewis and the subsequent sentence sends a clear message to Black women, girls and gender expansive individuals – the law will not protect you – and if you defend yourself, you will pay a high price,” Marcela Howell, CEO of nonprofit advocacy group In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda (CNN)
- “Injustice and violence against Black women and young girls are reproductive and racial justice crises, whether the harm is perpetrated by an abuser, police officer, or the courts,” - Monica Simpson, executive director of Sister Song (CNN)
No 'Safe Harbor Laws' in many Republican states
Safe Harbor laws protects child victims of sex trafficking and directs them towards restorative and protective services, rather than being punished for their victimization. Iowa is not among the dozens of states with a so-called safe harbor law providing legal protections to victims of human trafficking. (CNN)
How is it that Republican led states like Iowa that claim to value the importance of life, do nothing to protect children from sexual abuse and trafficking?
- Shared Hope International - Reports on child and youth sex trafficking.
- Guttmacher Institute - Research and policy organization committed to advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Black Reproductive Justice - Lifts up Black women leaders to secure reproductive Justice for all women, femmes and girls.
- Sister Song - Improves institutional policies and systems that impact the reproductive lives of marginalized communities.
- Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault - Works to end sexual violence and supports survivors of sexual harassment and abuse.
TakeAway: Vote Democrat to stop Republicans from imposing their own Shariah Laws that suppress women.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.
Republicans on rape and abortion
- "If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down." - Todd Aiken
- "Some girls, they rape so easy." - Roger Rivard
- "If a woman has the right to an abortion, why shouldn’t a man be free to use his superior strength to force himself on a woman? At least the rapist’s pursuit of sexual freedom doesn’t [usually] result in anyone’s death." - Lawrence Lockman
- Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions? Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb," -Matt Gaetz
- "If it's an honest rape, the individual should go immediately to the emergency room." - Ron Paul
- "... the right approach is to accept this horribly created — in the sense of rape — but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you." - Rick Santorum
- "Rape is like bad weather. If it's inevitable, why not just sit back and enjoy it?" - Clayton Williams
- "The incidence of pregnancy resulting from rape are very low." - Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.)
- "The 14-year-old victim was "as much in control of the situation" as her 54-year-old rapist." - Todd Baugh
- ‘Well, if rape is inevitable, you should just lie back and enjoy it.’ - Robert Regan
- "In the emergency room they have what's called rape kits where a woman can get cleaned out ..." - Jody Laubenerg
- "Obviously rape is awful. What is beautiful is the child that could come from this." - Brian Kurcaba
- "There is a way to have a more forcible rape, the same way there are different types of assault." - Rebecca Kleefisch
- "Pregnancies resulting from rape are "something that God intended to happen," - Richard Mourdock
- "They used Bayer aspirin for contraceptives,” implying that if a woman held an aspirin tablet between her knees it would keep one’s legs shut." - Foster Friess