More Americans have died from gun violence than in military combat, but Republicans still block gun safety measures.
Gun violence threatens our freedom more than any threat abroad. It turns American schools, shopping malls, movie theaters, concerts, houses of worship into war zones. There have been nearly 4,000 mass shootings and over 350,000 Americans have been killed by guns since Sandy Hook in 2012.
How do you present the tragedy of gun violence which kills and injures hundreds of Americans every year while the GOP blocks measures to curb the assault weapons used in most mass shootings? Start with this Newtown Action Alliance map which shows:
- Details on 181 mass shooting incidents between 2011-2022 along with details on the shooter and the assault weapon(s) used
- Direct links to mass shootings at Uvalde, Newtown, Atlanta, Charleston and Las Vegas
- Senators supposed to be representing the people of their state, but blocking gun safety measures
- What action readers can take to demand change and #OutShoutTheGunLobby
Mapping the carnage from assault weapons
Storytelling with maps
- This map was designed with ArcGIS Online using mass shooting data provided by Newtown Action Alliance.
- An icon of a bleeding victim is used. The size of the icon is proportional to the number of people killed/injured in the mass shooting.
- Clicking on an icon provides details of the incident including the shooter, assault weapon used and links to more information.
- It includes a TIME SCALE to show mass shootings in chronological order.
- Map bookmarks for nine mass shooting incidents (such as Uvalde and SandyHook) are included to directly lead the reader to that location.
- A share button lets the map be shared on social media with a link or be embedded into other websites.
- A Splash Screen and Info Box provide details on Newtown Action Alliance and how readers can volunteer, donate and learn more.
Use visuals to make your point
Graphical symbols convey messages better than words. Icons are easy to understand at a glance and work across languages. Use them to make your point.
Newtown Action Alliance (NAA)
Newtown Action Alliance is an all-volunteer grassroots group after the tragic Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting where 20 children and six educators were senselessly gunned down. It aims to transform the tragedy into meaningful action to end gun violence through the introduction of smarter, safer gun laws and broader cultural change.
- Endorsements for 183 incumbents for U.S. House of Representatives for the 2022 Midterm Elections
- Learn about NAA's federal legislative priorities and the list of gun control bills here
- #BanWeaponsOfWar - Find out how which Senators need to be contacted to urge them to pass the assault weapons ban
- Donate to the Newtown Action Alliance
President Biden signs Gun Safety Bill into law
President Biden on Saturday signed into law the first major gun safety legislation passed by Congress in nearly 30 years. The signing comes just over a month after the mass shooting at a Texas elementary school killed 19 children and two adults. That attack came 10 days after a racist mass shooting at a Buffalo, N.Y., supermarket killed 10 Black people.
"While this bill doesn't do everything I want, it does include actions I've long called for that are going to save lives," Biden said just before signing the measure. "Today, we say more than enough. We say more than enough," he added. "At a time when it seems impossible to get anything done in Washington, we are doing something consequential." - NPR
Republicans cripple gun safety laws as mass shootings surge
Promoting guns and vigilantism isn't the answer in a democracy. States with weaker gun laws have higher rates of firearm related homicides - CNN. States forge ahead with permit-less carry legislation despite law enforcement opposition - CNN. This infographic shows a dozen ways Republicans have weakened gun safety laws. Read more here.
- Iowa lawmakers approve bill that'd let kids have handguns. HuffPo
- Republicans in Congress just made it easier for mentally ill people to get guns. WaPo
- Remove any duty to retreat before using force in self-defense. FindLaw
- Ohio's Republican Governor just made it even easier to carry a concealed gun. Vanity Fair
- Wisconsin Republicans pass bill allowing students to bring a gun to campus. Salon
- Bill allowing people to carry firearms inside places of worship. Wisconsin Examiner
- Alabama won’t require background checks for concealed guns. Channel 3000
- Carry a concealed handgun into another state. Congress.gov
- House GOP set to approve bill that could make mass shootings deadlier. Think Progress
- GOP moved to loosen gun restrictions on federal lands. Intelligencer
- Allow use of lead ammunition on wildlife refuges. Intelligencer
- Make It Easier for “Fugitives” to Buy Guns. Intelligencer
Mass shootings and GOP gun safety obstruction
- GOP filibuster kills gun safety bills as children die in mass shootings
- Republican gun policies help mass shooters
- Gun sellers make a killing as Republicans gut gun safety laws for them
- Texas GOP gun laws and shooting victims resources: Illustrated edition
- Basketball legend, Steve Kerr calls for common sense gun safety measures after another mass shooting
- Republicans cripple gun safety laws. Shootings and deaths surge.
- Mapping 2,000 shooting incidents as Republicans cut gun safety laws
- Don’t let Gun Lobby Republicans hide behind Sandy Hook settlement. Demand gun safety reform now!
- Multimedia App Explains Money At Play In Blocking Gun Control Reform.
TakeAway: Vote for Democrats to curb gun violence.
DISCLAIMER: ALTHOUGH THE DATA FOUND IN THIS BLOG AND INFOGRAPHIC HAS BEEN PRODUCED AND PROCESSED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CAN BE MADE REGARDING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION. THIS DISCLAIMER APPLIES TO ANY USES OF THE INFORMATION WHETHER ISOLATED OR AGGREGATE USES THEREOF.