Keep your team of canvassers and supporters on the same talking points. Or as Beyonce says 'let's get in formation'.
"Use a “drumbeat” approach to communication: a steady stream of large and small actions and stories, over time, that help reinforce a consistent idea or theme. Drumbeats work so well is because we are all incredibly busy and great at filtering out information. That means the odds that any one message will break through are pretty low. Build up enough pieces of communication in different avenues over time, and the chances improve for getting your target audience to say, “Aha! Something is going on there." - Peterson Rudgers Group
How can a campaign keep its volunteers, canvassers and supporters on the same script in a fast changing environment? How can they get the latest talking points immediately? Present them confidently? Why does it matter?
This blog explains how Florida Keys Dems keeps their team on the same page while engaged with the public and press. They share key talking points about DeSantis and harmful Republican policies. Team members click on the link to get the latest talking points in a free BigStage Teleprompter app that they can use on Zoom calls or practice with before canvassing.
Share your talking points
- Upload your talking points into the BigStage Teleprompter.
- Create different scripts for different issues and audiences.
- Update the talking points at any time.
- Share your talking points freely as a link or with a QR Code.
- Scanning the code launches a free teleprompter with your script on it.
- The teleprompter can be used on a phone or laptop.
- The teleprompter runs its own browser window beside Zoom so it isn't seen by the audience.
- Canvassers can practice the talking points ahead of time on the teleprompter.
Florida Key Dems talking points
- Do you think it is OK for the Republican-led legislature to prevent Florida counties, cities, and other local jurisdictions from making laws governing their own communities?
- Do you think DeSantis and his pet legislature should be allowed to rescind the Key West government and transfer responsibility to the County Government?
- Do you think the Florida legislature should write laws that favor their biggest donors and punish ordinary citizens?
- Do you think the state of Florida should help the Keys mitigate the effects of sea-level rise?
- What do you think would happen to the Keys economy if an oil spill killed the reef and fouled our beaches and waters? Do you support laws regulating oil companies operating in Florida waters that would prevent an industrial catastrophe and devastate our tourist economy?
- Corals in our reefs are dying due to the seawater temperature rise. A great part of Keys economy is based on a healthy reef and clean waters. Do you support legislation to allocate funds to repopulate dying reefs in Florida with heat-resistant coral species?
- The Sadowski affordable housing trust fund was established in 1992 to fund affordable housing in all of Florida. In the last 20 years, the Republican-led legislature has siphoned off 33% or $2.3 billion dollars to fund other projects creating an affordable housing crisis. Would you support laws to restore all or some of the funds that were siphoned off by the GOP-led legislature in the past 20 years to support new affordable housing projects?
The Keys Democrats are run by dedicated volunteers living in Monroe County to fight for Democratic candidates and legislation. It supports a Keys economy that allows residents to succeed with policies that:
- Reduce the rate of tourism growth
- Prioritize building permits for affordable workforce housing over new lodging and commercial development
- Reduce the stress on our environmental resources due to tourism
- Support sustaining the environmental resources that are the reason the Keys for residents and visitors. Keys residents need to thrive, not just barely survive.
- Recognize, honor, and support Keys working people who are the bedrock of our economy
How to present better with a teleprompter
How to not look like you are reading a teleprompter
Positioning the teleprompter on your screen is a very important part of this process. The key to a smooth teleprompter read is to create distance from the speaker and the teleprompter. This minimizes eye movement and makes it look much more natural.
Position and size the Teleprompter window as close to your webcam as possible. Put your Zoom window towards the bottom of the screen, and your Teleprompter window towards the top and middle of your screen to minimize eye movements.
Avoid the distraction of looking away at your notes with with an on-screen teleprompter.
TakeAway: Make a bigger impact by keeping your supporters in formation with talking points that stay current.
Image Credit: Beyonce / Quartz