Our democracy depends on ordinary people who make sure elections run smoothly and everyone's vote is counted.
Make sure we have safe, fair, and efficient elections for all. Become a poll worker.
Power the Polls recruits poll workers to ensure a safe, fair election for all voters. It uses data on poll worker requirements from Work Elections on poll worker compensation, hours, application links, and training and voter registration requirements for more than 4,000 jurisdictions in states across the country. This makes it easy for local election officials and potential workers to connect.
Design messages to maximize engagement and responses. This blog explains ten design tips used in this StoryMap on the urgent need for poll workers.
Share this StoryMap freely as a link https://arcg.is/1mveCT
Share as a GIF https://media.giphy.com/media/563TvY6LNuexzTq111/giphy.gif
Embed in a website < iframe src="https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/5bcc729cb196451a9c64ce4486f15b6f" width="100%" height="500px" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen allow="geolocation"></iframe>
Start with a bang
- Put the call to action upfront. Viewers may not read the whole StoryMap so it's best to place your call to action right at the start.
- Keep it short. The StoryMap uses a 40 second video clip edited from a 80 second Power The Polls video with the free iMovie app. The full video appears later in the StoryMap.
- Add captions. The video was captioned as most viewers watch videos with their phones on mute.
Use compelling photos. The classic recruitment poster of Uncle Sam is adapted to encourage people to become poll workers.
Design to maximize responses
- Make it easy for people to respond. The StoryMap includes both a clickable button and a QR Code that directs users to learn how they can become a poll worker.
- Add links to more info. Videos from YouTube are embedded as links to provide more information but not overload the StoryMap.
Make it visual
- Use graphics to keep their attention. Logos for all three groups are added for visual appeal.
Make it easy to search. Use maps for viewers to visually search for the information they need.
- Design for use on different devices. StoryMaps automatically adjusts to display well on phones and laptops.
Make it easy to share
- Share this StoryMap freely as a link https://arcg.is/1mveCT
- Share as a GIF https://media.giphy.com/media/563TvY6LNuexzTq111/giphy.gif
- Embed in a website < iframe src="https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/5bcc729cb196451a9c64ce4486f15b6f" width="100%" height="500px" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen allow="geolocation"></iframe>