Use the right messaging to explain the Jan 6th insurrection and how the people behind it are now passing bills to steal our freedom to vote.
Words matter. Especially when countering disinformation undermining democracy. This Digital Toolkit from ASO Communications explains how to describe the clear and present danger to American democracy and what can be done to fight back.
Use the free BigStage Teleprompter app with this script to practice explaining the danger to others and while presenting on Zoom / WebEx / Microsoft Meeting calls.
Jan 6 insurrection messaging guide
Jan 6 Insurrection - Talking Points
- No matter our color, background or party, most of us believe that people who commit treason against our nation and endanger our lives have no business governing in our name.
- On January 6, some Republicans in office betrayed America by inciting MAGA militants to attack our Capitol and then tried to to cover up their role in this violence by blocking investigation of these crimes.
- Mounting evidence shows these elected leaders helped plan, promote and excuse January 6th. They spread daily lies about our elections and our government to keep their supporters engaged and enraged, exposing Americans from election administrators to school superintendents to death threats and violence.
- They're using their deliberate disinformation campaign to attack our freedom to vote and introduce hundreds of election sabotage bills to control election outcomes, criminalize election officials for doing their jobs, and give partisan poll watchers the ability to harass and intimidate voters.
- In 2020, we turned out in record numbers, made sure our votes were counted and that the will of the people prevailed.
- This January 6th, Americans across race, place, party, and background are coming together to say: in America, the voters decide the outcome of our elections.
- Coming together, we have the power to demand that our Senators exercise their majority and pass the Freedom to Vote Act and John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act to create national standards that protect our rights, ensure that trusted local election officials count every vote, and prevent partisan politicians from sabotaging the results of our elections.
Embrace & Replace
"Conventional wisdom says to meet people where they are. But, on most issues, where they are is unacceptable. Applying tools from cognition and linguistics, ASO Communications uncover where people are capable of going and how to use our words, images and stories to move them.
Progressive messages often lead with "no" and "don't." We rely on fear and anger — reactive emotions. To sustain long-term movements, we must shift from cataloging what we're resisting to painting a desirable portrait of the world we seek.
If your words don't spread, by definition, they don't work. To break a signal through the incessant political noise requires constant repetition. That's why our messages must persuade the middle while also energizing the base." - ASO Communications
Creative Courage is an independent movement of artists, designers, illustrators and culture makers working to turn-up the volume and turn out the vote. This is a giphy they created.“
This is precisely the time when artists go to work. There is no time for despair, no place for self-pity, no need for silence, no room for fear. We speak, we write, we do language. That is how civilizations heal.” - Toni Morrison.
Messaging matters. Share the best way to communicate a message with the BigStage Teleprompter app. Share your message with supporters by pasting it into the teleprompter, and posting the link on social media or email.
- Viewers see the teleprompter in their browser when they click on the link.
- They can practice delivering the message your message with the teleprompter
- They present more confidently with the script scrolling on their screen as they present on Zoom, WebEx, Google Meet or Microsoft Teams.
- The audience does not see that the teleprompter that the presenter is using.
- You can revise the messaging at any time, and everyone with the link sees the new version.