Republicans have vowed to kill the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Insurance companies could deny health insurance to over 32 million Americans by treating COVID as a pre-existing condition if Republicans steal back control by suppressing voters.
That's why the FOR THE PEOPLE ACT is a life-or-death matter for so many Americans.
Dan Pfeiffer, host of Pod Save America recently presented on a DemCast webinar. He advised making regular Americans aware of what's at stake for them as Republicans scheme to regain power by voter suppression, and demand their elected officials support democracy and pass the For The People Act.
This DemLabs StoryMap shows:
- Where the 32 million Americans who have suffered from COVID live
- Which counties had the the most COVID related deaths
- The state of CA-22 represented by Devon Nunes (R) which has had over 100,000 COVID cases
- How Nunes has been a strong opponent of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Republicans enjoys lavish, tax-payer paid healthcare plans while they cut healthcare for others
- How the FOR THE PEOPLE ACT creates a more ethical and accountable government
- How people can contact their elected official to urge them to support the measure
Republican voter suppression bills put the ACA at risk (again)
Designing a StoryMap
StoryMaps is a free storytelling app that combines text, stats, images, videos and maps. It lets you simplify complex issues into a visual, interactive story that can be freely shared. Make it personal. Readers can quickly find out about the situation where they live. Make it engaging with cartoon, GIFs and videos. This is how we designed this For The People Act - ACA StoryMap and the resources we used:
We used data from the John Hopkins University COVID Dashboard. This show the number of COVID cases and deaths by county. This information is regularly updated so the map stays up to date.
Details on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) from the Dept. of Health & Human Services
Animated GIF on voting for healthcare from Into Action
How people can contact their elected official to demand they support For The People Act - US House of Representatives
Design to be shared
This StoryMap can be freely shared with this link: https://arcg.is/1jGLiW
It is designed to automatically resize based on the reader's device - phone, tablet or laptop. The StoryMap also includes links at the top to make it easily shared on Facebook and Twitter
The StoryMap can be embedded in any website with this code:
< iframe src="https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/a7351fb70cb343f087bb1b73422c26a8?header" width="100%" height="500px" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen allow="geolocation">