How many registered Georgia voters didn't vote? Who many votes were cast in the Presidential, Senatorial and other races per county? How can these insights help with Get-Out-The-Vote efforts?
We used four data sources to collect information on Georgia voting patterns and turnout from:
Georgia Secretary of State (Unofficial Results. Totals may not include all Absentee or Provisional Ballots)
U.S. Election Project (Prof. Michael P. McDonald, Univ. of Florida)
ArcGIS Living Atlas
Information is a lot more useful when it is easy to understand and search. We organized the data in different layers:
- What are the county boundaries? What is the population and racial composition of each county?
- How many registered voters are in each county? How many voted in the General Election?
- Which counties have the largest number of registered voters who did not vote?
- In which 20 counties did Joe Biden have the biggest vote margin?
- How many voted for President Elect Joe Biden vs Pres. Donald Trump? What was the vote differential per county?
- How many voted for Jon Ossoff vs David Perdue?
- How many voted for Pastor Rafael Warnock vs Kelly Loeffler?
Details of down ballot races and voting patterns by precinct are also collected but not mapped in the current map.
This map displays each county based on the votes cast for each candidate and the voter turnout. The actual number of votes is presented as a circle whose size is proportional to the number. We used ArcGIS Online to create this map. Each piece of information is presented in a 'layer' which lets you display just the information you are interested in.
Dashboards convey information by presenting location-based analytics using intuitive and interactive data visualizations on a single screen. We designed two additional displays to complement the map:
- Which twenty counties had the biggest vote margins for Pres. Elect Joe Biden?
- Which twenty counties had the most registered voters who did not vote?
This information is valuable in targeting GOTV efforts to the counties with the most potential voters. Clicking on one of the counties in this dashboard displays the underlying stats for that county.
Use data-rich, interactive maps to focus your GOTV efforts on the areas where they will have the most impact. The above maps and dashboards can be used freely. Contact us for pro bono help with mapping for projects in service of democratic values and social justice.