Volunteers donate their time and energy to canvas and get-out-the-vote. But often they're cash-strapped and need a place to stay. Supporters have lodging to share. How can the two be connected?
A free new app connects volunteers with hosts to find free lodging.
The Host For Democracy app was designed with the free Glide platform.
- The app can be used on any smart phone without having to install an app.
- Available lodging can be searched a map or by type of accommodation.
- Access to the app can be password-restricted to only approved volunteers and hosts.
- Hosts can add details on the lodging that they have to share.
- Details on lodging is immediately updated in a Google Sheet which the organizers monitor.
The Host For Democracy app shows available lodging on a map by latitude / longitude. A house's coordinates can be found in a web browser by entering its address into Google Maps.
What's the value of such an app? Consider the lodging costs for a team of five volunteers traveling for four days to help get-out-the vote. 5 volunteers x 4 days x $100 rent/day = $2,000. Multiply this by hundreds of volunteers and now we're talking serious money! And every dollar not spent on lodging is one that the campaign doesn't have to fund raise.
Couldn't an organizer match volunteers with lodging? Yes. But that requires time and energy that an organizer could better spend elsewhere. Enabling volunteers to find and coordinate directly with local supporters for lodging with an app makes the process faster and much more efficient.
"We haven't got the money, so we have to think", wrote Ernest Rutherford (Nobel Laureate).
Grassroots groups have to innovate in order to compete with well-funded political interests. Innovation levels the playing field.
Find out how you can re-use the free 'Host For Democracy' app here - and let us know of other campaign needs that could use some innovation.